The Julia and Ulysses S. Grant Home
In April 1848, Army officer Ulysses S. Grant was assigned to Detroit as the regimental quartermaster for the 4th Infantry. He rented a small, Greek revival home on the city’s southeast side.
The home, which was built in 1836, was located at 253 East Fort street, between Russell and Rivard streets. Although this section of Fort street is gone, the home’s original location would have been along the south side of today’s Navarre Place in southern Lafayette Park.
The Grants lived in the home until early 1850, and they left Detroit permanently in June 1851.
Michigan History Center staff are working with community partners, historians and advisors to develop an inclusive, balanced and honest account of Ulysses and Julia’s lives before, during and after their time in Detroit. We will update this page with more history information as the narrative is developed.